[media id=46 width=445 height=255]
[media id=44 width=445 height=255]
[media id=45 width=445 height=255]
My long-awaited “Battlestar Galactica” Piano Music Book is finally available, thanks to Hal Leonard and Universal Music Publishing. To celebrate the release, I’m announcing the BSG Fan Music Video Contest!
I’m looking for original and exciting re-interpretations of my “Battlestar Galactica” music. Fans around the world are invited to shoot video of themselves playing any of the pieces from the piano book and upload it to YouTube. I will assemble them all in my new YouTube Channel, where everyone can experience them and vote for the finalists.
Skilled musicians don’t necessarily have the advantage here. I’m also looking for creative entries, that re-interpret this material in a unique or entertaining way. Energy, attitude and inventiveness are essential attributes for any composer, so I hope to see them in spades in these videos. Production values are also not judged. You can shoot on an HD camera, your cell phone, or anything in between.
Fans will narrow down the finalists by voting online. The videos with the most “Like” button clicks will move to the final round. From there, I will personally select the winners in a wide range of categories. Winners will be awarded exclusive signed memorabilia, including autographed CDs, scores, sheet music, concert set lists and more.A grand prize winner will be awarded an autographed bound book of the complete orchestral score to “BSG’s” final episode Daybreak, one that was used in the actual recording sessions.
– All entries must be uploaded to YouTube by July 1, 2011.
– To enter, upload your video to YouTube and post a link to your video in the comments section in this blog entry, or email a link to “firstname.lastname@example.org.”
– Videos can be as simple or as complex as you like. The only rule is that they must contain a new recording of “BSG” music, performed on camera. If you want to produce a studio recording of your performance, then “lip sync” to it music-video style, that is acceptable, as long as the musicians on camera are the same as the ones on the recording.
– Videos submitted that use recorded audio from “BSG” soundtrack albums, or other people’s recordings, will be disqualified.
– Final Prizes will be autographed memorabilia from the “BSG” recording sessions and concerts. Specific prizes to be announced later.
– One prize will be selected for each of the following categories:
* Best Solo Performance on Piano
* Best Solo Performance on an Instrument Other Than Piano
* Best Ensemble Performance
(open to small groups, bands or orchestras)
* Most Creative Performance
– Other categories may be announced later.
– The winners will be decided by Bear McCreary and announced on this blog in September, 2011.
I am so excited about this contest, I thought I’d submit some videos of my own just to get it started right! (Don’t worry… I won’t win any of the prizes!) 🙂 Every two weeks, I will upload a new video of me performing a piece from the “BSG” Piano Music Book at my own living room piano.
What better way to begin this contest than with “Prelude to War:”
YOUTUBE LINK TO PRELUDE TO WAR VIDEO
So… what are you waiting for? Get out a camera and shoot a video!
So Say We All!